Saturday, February 18, 2012

Stretching the Limits of Perception

I don't write science fiction, and I don't read much of it either. But I do know something about imagining possibilities, taking risks, and trying out wildly different points of view. I don't feel like elaborating on that right now. Instead, I'll post here a couple of challenging 55-word stories, and let them suffice.





Seeing Eye to Eye
The microbiologist peers into her microscope, focusing on swirling molecules. She’s sucked into a galaxy of suns, each surrounded by spinning planets. On one planet is a mountaintop, where an astronomer trains his telescope on the heavens, gazing out beyond his solar system, beyond the universe, until he’s consumed by the eyes of God.


Forwarding Order Expired
At ten I received a letter from the man I would become. “I’ve learned to correspond across the years,” it said. “Enjoy your youth.”
At forty, I received the boy’s reply: “I can’t wait to be your age.”
I wrote the next letter forward thirty years. “I hope you’re well.”
My letter was returned unopened.


13 comments:

  1. That second one pulled quite a punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are phenomenal, John. As concentrated as poetry. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    Very nice! The second one is especially thought provoking. What words would I have used to write letters to myself at different points in my life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Marilyn and Theresa. Glad you enjoyed these miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thanks to you two, too, Tim and Pat. I'm pleased that you approve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these shorts, John. I'm going to try some myself, although I did on my Christmas web page and have done that before at Christmas. But I never set a number, like 55 words, which has to make it a lot harder. I'll try it one of these days, but I'll use a different number out of professional courtesy. '-) You're a genius, I'm fairly convinced of that. Not even fairly, actually. I AM convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gee, Beth, nobody ever accused me of being a genius before. I look forward to reading some of your short short shorts one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, loved them all. Keep 'em coming, John!

    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stories! Love the endings. As I say, less is more. Sometimes a shorter piece says more than a long, rambling tome.
    Sally Carpenter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Sally. I agree with you that less is often more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing, your 55-worders, John! Less is more is so often true. I´m in Puerto Vallarta and will be mentioning your 55-worders in my workshops on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete